It's a non-deterministic error, so it can be a bit hard to duplicate. There are two main causes of frustration from what I see:
1) The HMR doesn't really work well, and you'll see an older, cached version of the site, even after restart. I believe this thread is the same issue: https://github.com/nuxt/nuxt.js/issues/5550
2) Sometimes the local dev server gets stuck- perhaps on a bug, but you are locked out of the app. Also non-deterministic conditions. Sample of this sent to Sebastien. I left the repro link just to my github because it's a project I'm not ready to share publicly yet. I'm extremely low on time so I'm hoping this will suffice. If you really need a public link, I can get you one but it might be a while before I can provide it.
1) Server to reflect the changes in the app, especially after restart
2) Local dev server to load even if there is an error
1) The app gets cached in a particular state. After you restart it, sometimes after as much as 4 times, it works again
2) The server just keeps reloading and reloading (you just see the loading screen and it starts over). One major problem is that it clears the console as well, so even if it is running into a user error problem, it's hard to track down.
I've been experiencing this bug since 2.6.*. It happens quite frequently. A few friends have complained to me about it as well. I love Nuxt! I don't want to leave it but my productivity is starting to suffer.